BRYAN/COLLEGE STATION (TEXAS) CONTRA DANCE
We dance on the FIRST Saturday (from 7pm to 10pm),
at Suzanne's School of Dance, 211 Rock Prairie Road, College Station.
To protect their dance floor, they ask us to wear clean shoes.
Street shoes are ok, if they have been cleaned (we will have supplies).
Spike high heels will damage the floor and are not acceptable.
See our Schedule
for details and other dances in Texas, and our
Map for directions to our dance.
Suggested donation: adults $5, students $3,
- All dances are done to live music
- All dances are taught and called,
with additional instruction for beginners in the first half-hour
- Contra dance is suitable for singles, couples, and families, from pre-teens to seniors
- Come with a partner or family and friends, or find dance partners at the dance
- It is aerobic exercise to music,
smoke-, alcohol-, and fragrance-free setting.
- Casual dress and comfortable shoes are recommended
- If you can walk and follow directions, you can contra dance
- Join us for a fun evening and embrace the joy of contra dance!
Two dances for one deals:
Bring a new dancer, half price for each of you.
New dancer, pay and get a free pass for another dance.
Ask about our family discount.
More info: call 979-846-4504, or e-mail stan DOT 2 DOT swanson AT tamu DOT edu
You can also find us on Facebook .
BCS Contra Dance is an affiliate of the
Sam Houston Square and Round Dance Association.
Links and additional information::
Local callers (when we can't get outstanding visiting talent):
--- Lorraine Puckhaber, Rosie and Stan Swanson, Joe Barziza
Our local band,
General info about contra dancing in
National information about square, round, and contra dancing
Contra dance comes from the same English country dance tradition as modern
square dancing and shares many of the same basic dance patterns.
For more information about contra dancing: see
What is Contra Dance?
and check out contra dancing on
Hear a sampling
of contra dance tunes as midi files.
A local project to make MIDI files of contra dance music:
A local project to analyse contra dances (output in spreadsheet format):